City Tour with Penang Hop-On Hop-Off

by - 3:15 PM


Tour with Penang HOHO (Hop-On Hop-Off) and experience Penang like never before


On early March this year, I traveled to Penang for holiday and I have to travel alone since my friends canceled their trip. At first I was afraid and hesitant about this trip because I haven't get enough time to learn about Penang's transportation, but thanked God I read about this Penang HOHO bus which just started their operation last November 2014. I was lucky enough by experiencing Penang in a fun way using this service. To be honest, it was my first time experience hopping on a double decker bus which has open deck and sky view seating area, that's why I was so excited when I hopped on to this bus. 

There are two different types of Penang HOHO bus, the first one is a front open deck and the last one is a rear open deck double decker bus.

Well, because Sharing is Caring, so now I'm gonna share to you about my experience using this Penang HOHO Bus. 

I started my 24hrs tour from Penang HOHO bus stop number 1 which is Gurney Drive, for those of you who wondering where is it, This bus stop located in front of Plaza Gurney that heading to Gurney Drive. (Hopefully you won't get lost like I did after I give you this clue). This bus stop also an interchange stop between Beach Route and City Route. There is also another one interchange Penang HOHO stop in front of Chowrasta Market in Jalan Penang, Georgetown. Psstt it has a sophisticated ticketing system, after we buy the voucher ticket on mobile counter, you will be given a simple voucher paper, but when you hop on to the bus, Penang HOHO staff will collect your voucher and starts to create a new receipt using their mobile apps that connected with ticket printer to print your ticket type and its validity period and I was like whoaaaa (well maybe because their staff used Iphone 6 hahahaha) 


With its 2 different routes, Penang HOHO cover around 50 major tourist attractions from Georgetown to Teluk Bahang area with total 33 bus stops. I was just like sitting on my seat and wait for my next stop.  City route will take you around the city (Georgetown), meanwhile Beach route will take you to Batu Ferringhi and Teluk Bahang. I can visit Tropical Spice, Hard Rock Cafe, Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang Hill and city tour in Georgetown in one day. Well, it depends on your duration on each place. On my experience, if you haven't decided where will you hop off the bus, you better take one full route and if the weather is good, I recommend you to take a seat on an open deck seating area.

When I used this service they didn't stop at bus stop no 4 which is Botanical Garden, I forgot to ask them why, but if next time you want to visit that garden you better ask their staff first.

Penang HOHO Routes

 Gurney Drive Penang HOHO bus stop

Front Open Deck Bus
  
Gurney Drive Bus Stop

Open deck area

This service also equipped with tour guide that will explain to the tourist about history and information about attraction near bus stop and even some places passed by the bus. It also has a free WIFI on board, so you can tweet or upload photo about the ride or attractions and brag it to you friends LOL. By purchasing the ticket, you will also get TGB (Tour Guide Book) that will show us about Penang's attractions, shopping center, accommodation and food/drinks places which is in a walking distance from Penang HOHO bus stop. It really helped me roam the city and sought for local food.

some of tourist attraction near bus stops
Top Left: Tropical Spice Garden (stop 27) Top Right: Hard Rock Hotel (stop 26)
Bottom Left: Penang Hill (stop 5) Bottom Right: Kek Lok Si Temple (stop 6)


Another view along the ride
Top: On the way to Penang Hill and Kek Lok Si Temple
Bottom: on Georgetown Area

Penang HOHO has two different bus stops, standard stop and on demand stop. When you want to stop at on demand bus stop, you should push stop button in the bus and if you want to hop on the bus from on demand bus stop, you should pull the pole until the sign changed into "Pick me up"


Top: Standard Penang HOHO Stop Sign
Bottom: On Demand Stop (you need to pull the sign until it changed into "pick me up!")

Penang HOHO Ticket Price

More About Penang Hop-On Hop-Off Bus:

- Tour will start daily from 9 am to 8 pm, with around 20 to 30 minutes intervals
- There are two tickets validity 24hr and 48hr
- You can buy your ticket on bus and Mobile Counter (on Stop 1 and Stop 9)
- Disable Friendly
- Children below 5 years old are free of charge
- From student, please bring your Student ID for special price

thank you Ms. Angeline for your hospitality

Thank you for the complimentary ticket from Penang Hop-On Hop-Off and yes I experienced Penang like never before

You May Also Like

2 comments

Thank you for leaving a comment :)